Wednesday, May 25, 2011

5 minutes of my life.

I'm usually very lucky. I haven't encountered robbery or really any violence against myself. My friends and parents are nice to me, and generally, things go my way in life. Sure, I've had my downs as any other human being, but I have gotten over them all relatively easily.

I know many face issues every day, as others did in the past, and I will in the future. I've spent most of today reading “Maus” and reflecting upon it and thinking that I'm lucky as hell to have such great people around me.

Todays encounter is pretty much a great example of this. After being irritated about not making it to an earlier bus, i went down to wait at the bus terminal. I quickly grew bored of just sitting around, and i therefore went to get something to snack on. For the record, I ended up with some nuts&berries mix, as well as some ice cream. When I got back I sat down closer to where my bus would arrive, and started eating.

Quiet before the story, they say. I was paying absolutely no attention to the world around me as I suddenly hear a loud noise of something hitting the glass wall to my far left. As I turn around I quickly make out of the situation that the guy facing me has hit the other guy. My heart starts racing, and I'm wondering if I should try break it up. They are around my age, or younger. I'm guessing 16-17. In a mere second I simulate the whole situation in my head: what would they do if I interfered?

As , I notice that an old, short lady in a red coat walking up to them as best she can. She could not have been above 150 cm, and she had definitively gone into pension. She tells the kids to stop this, and again I notice the crowd of people standing slightly to the left of where the hit happened. I remember that my eyes for a short moment fell on the large group as I sat down in the first place. “Friends”? Probably. None of them wanted to get in between. Props to you old lady.

For those interested in the situation, I later overheard that that someone had called the police (the station is like a minute away), and that they had confiscated a knife from one of the kids. Before I sat down, they had apparently been quarreling and one of the people sitting there had seen a knife. I had left the place maybe three minutes earlier, and although I did not face them at that time, however I'm pretty sure they must have started this right before I got back.

I could probably share my thoughts of the whole moral situation, but ill leave you with this little tip;

No matter who starts the fight and who argues and for how long, you lose as soon as you go over to hurting the person physically. Hitting is never the answer.

- Rumi

Update: The paper picked the case up, and they were both 16. Good thing I didn't try intervene then. Sixteen year olds can be crazy. 

19 comments:

  1. Nicely handled from that old woman.
    I don't know how it's in your country, but in Germany there are currently some problems with "train station brawls". Sometimes they end deadly - not for the fighters, but for those who intervene.
    It's very sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%. Violence should be avoided whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestin 5 minutes ! thanks for share this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people who start fights remind me of children. I am currently teaching my daughter its not ok to hit people. Maybe people need to be retrained?

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course hitting is not the answer but neither is excessive arguing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You handled the situation well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done by that old lady, impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. old lady is inspirational. hope i run into one half as much

    ReplyDelete
  9. The exact same thing happened to me too. Two thugs started throwing fists on a bus and the only one to say anything was an old lady. I swear old ladies have balls. Bigger than mine because I didn't say shit :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That old lady is awesome. Reminds me of my grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 16 year olds carrying knives and starting fights, do you live in a rough area or something?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Xenototh: Not really, but you know, there's always _some_ people...
    @ZKMin: Good! Keep it up. They were both 16, and we all know how bad some kids can be in that age if they get into the wrong environments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. old people should be the most respected members of our society.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old ladies are getting brave. In Florida a few months back, someone held a boardroom at gunpoint. An old lady snuck up behind him and hit him with her purse.

    Then she auctioned the purse off on ebay :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Violence should be avoided. But next time, stab someone! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sadly a fairly regular occurence in bars here in Australia. You get used to it.

    ReplyDelete